Re: How stable is the frozen stretch?

Richard Owlett composed on 2017-05-16 06:17 (UTC-0500):

> On 05/15/2017 02:06 PM, deloptes wrote:

>> I wouldn't use dedicated boot partition in your case. For testing
>> you can leave all on one partition. If you use dedicated boot
>> partition and want to share it among different installs - watch out
>> to not format it ... and you  must keep all your kernels+initrd there.

> I'm unclear as to "dedicated boot partition" above.
> My typical install procedure results in a directory structure as below:
> richard@stretch-2nd:/$ dir
> bin   etc	  initrd.img.old  media  proc  sbin  tmp  vmlinuz
> boot  home	  lib		  mnt	 root  srv   usr  vmlinuz.old
> dev   initrd.img  lost+found	  opt	 run   sys   var

> Are you referring to the "boot" in that list?
> I've may have been a computer *user* for a half-century.
> But I have little formal background ;}

"Dedicated boot partition" normally refers to the boot directory you see in your
dir output having a filesystem mounted to it in /etc/fstab.

It doesn't have to be so. I have dedicated boot partitions, meaning FOSS native
filesystem primary partition on each BIOS disk 0, with Grub installed on it that
I manage entirely myself, and which I do *not* mount to /boot/, in order to
maintain exclusive control of it on PCs with as many as 40 installed operating
systems.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/