Re: How stable is the frozen stretch?

On Sun 14 May 2017 at 04:57:07 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/14/2017 02:40 AM, Joe wrote:
> >On Sat, 13 May 2017 20:54:04 -0400
> >RavenLX <ravenlx@sitesplace.net> wrote:

> >>I could almost smack myself in the head. I had done that when I used
> >>to dual-boot Windows / Linux (now you can see why I'm not a fan of
> >>dual-boot, I guess! LOL!). I also used to dual boot SolydX and SolydK
> >>distributions.
> >>
> >>In my VMs, I do use the guest additions and have a shared directory
> >>(necessity for what I need to do as well).
> >>
> >>But that was one way I had shared data.
> >>
> >>However, I still balk at dual-booting (like you balk at VMs :) )
> >>

> >Another option I've used for some years: a pocket-sized USB hard drive
> >with an i386 all-modules installation, which boots on practically
> >anything that isn't an ARM.
> >

> Can you clarify what you mean by the phrase "i386 all-modules installation"?

Recall this d-i screen?

  ┌─────────────────────────┤ [?] Install the base system ├─────────────────────────┐
  │                                                                                 │
  │ The primary function of an initrd is to allow the kernel to mount the root      │
  │ file system. It therefore needs to contain all drivers and supporting           │
  │ programs required to do that.                                                   │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ A generic initrd is much larger than a targeted one and may even be so large    │
  │ that some boot loaders are unable to load it but has the advantage that it      │
  │ can be used to boot the target system on almost any hardware. With the          │
  │ smaller targeted initrd there is a very small chance that not all needed        │
  │ drivers are included.                                                           │
  │                                                                                 │
  │ Drivers to include in the initrd:                                               │
  │            generic: include all available drivers                               │
  │            targeted: only include drivers needed for this system                │
  │     <Go Back>                                                                   │

Cheers,
David.