Re: How stable is the frozen stretch?

Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 05/14/2017 06:46 AM, David Wright wrote:

>>> Can you clarify what you mean by the phrase "i386 all-modules
>>> installation"?
>>
>> Recall this d-i screen?
>
> I do now ;)
> Actually initrd and initramfs and were on my "google today" list.
> That may that may explain something I've recently noticed.
> As I experiment with many Debian versions and configurations I routinely
> can multi-boot among a a half dozen (or more) choices.
>
> As I've had some spectacularly failed installs, my practice is to
> install Grub *ONLY* with the *FIRST* install. That way the default
> action is to boot a known good system and the questionable one will
> generally be last on the list (Grub insists on listing /dev/sda10 before
> /dev/sda2).
>
> What I'm investigating is an apparent anomaly:
>    1. My primary machine had Jessie installed first with Squeeze
>       and Stretch later. It happily will boot all.
>    2. I've set up a designated EXPERIMENTAL machine. Squeeze was
>       installed first and thus Grub is associated with it.
>       Wheezy and Jessie were installed without Grub.
>       Squeeze runs fine and will browse the web.
>       However, update-grub does not recognize either Wheezy or Jessie.
>       Also, a netinst of Stretch failed at the network setup step -
>       haven't done any trouble shooting yet.
>
> Two questions:
>    1. Can I retroactively choose "include all available drivers" and
>       if so, how?
>    2. How much free space would be required? As I was already planning
>       on some Grub experiments, I had left 10 MB un-partitioned before
>       /dev/sda1. That can easily be expanded.
>
> TIA

If you like hacking the initrd

mkdir test && cd test && zcat /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r` | cpio -Hnewc -i

find . ! -name *~ | cpio -H newc --create | gzip -9
> /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r`

I foundthisvery useful over the years, especially for testing things out

10MB would be enough for 1 kernel+initrd & co

I wouldn't use dedicated boot partition in your case. For testing you can
leave all on one partition. If you use dedicated boot partition and want to
share it among different installs - watch out to not format it ... and you
must keep all your kernels+initrd there.

regards