[SOLVED] attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

On Sat, 6 May 2017 18:12:03 +0200
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> Le 06/05/2017 à 17:19, Joe a écrit :
> >>
> >> However, the ls command I suggested may still be useful to check
> >> GRUB's idea of the sizes.
> >
> > ls (hd0)
> > (hd0): Filesystem is unknown.
> >
> > ls (hd0,1)
> > (hd0,1): Filesystem is ext2. (after several seconds' pause)
> >
> > I'm only getting the grub rescue> prompt, not the grub> prompt.
>
> I expected that "ls" would be the same in normal and rescue mode.
> Obviously I was wrong.
>
> If the GRUB version on the internal disk is the same, you could boot
> from it while the USB disk is connected, and if the BIOS exposes the
> USB disk even though it is not the boot disk (some BIOS do, others
> don't), then you could use the "ls" command in normal mode to check
> (hd1) and (hd1,1).

Yes, that works, and looks right:

Device hd1: No known filesystem detected - Sector size 512B - Total
size 117220824KiB

Partition hd1,1: Filesystem type ext* - (Last mod time, UUID)
Partition start at 1024KiB - Total size 10485760KiB

However, (still from the host machine's grub):

grub> ls (hd1,1)/boot
< reasonable listing >

grub> set root=(hd1,1)
grub> linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.6.0-1-686-pae root=/dev/sdb1

gets me: error: "attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd1'."

This result, from a second grub installation, suggests a broken
filesystem, despite the partition being readable and writeable when
mounted. I had already copied /etc from the drive, and was trying one
last attempt to boot to obtain a dpkg --get-selections in preparation
for a reinstall. A quick fsck /dev/sdb1 from the host confirms this,
and a couple of fsck -y runs (what have I to lose?) gets it booting
again. So --get-selections saved, and now to try the long-delayed
dist-upgrade...

Thanks again.

--
Joe