Re: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

On Sat, 6 May 2017 16:07:25 +0200
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> Le 06/05/2017 à 10:35, Joe a écrit :
> > Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> You can check the sizes of the disk and the partition as viewed by
> >> GRUB with the following commands :
> >>
> >> ls (hd0)
> >> ls (hd0,1)
> >
> > The netbook is about seven years old, but the laptop is a
> > two-year-old HP running Windows 8. Its hard drive is 500GB of which
> > the Win partition is about 400GB.
> >
> > The USB hard drive is physically 120GB, with the single Linux
> > partition being physically the first at just over 10GB.
> (...)
> > I don't think it is a BIOS issue
>
> Indeed with such disk and partition sizes, it is unlikely that the
> issue is caused by a BIOS limitation, even on a 7-year old PC.
>
> However, the ls command I suggested may still be useful to check
> GRUB's idea of the sizes.

ls (hd0)
(hd0): Filesystem is unknown.

ls (hd0,1)
(hd0,1): Filesystem is ext2. (after several seconds' pause)

I'm only getting the grub rescue> prompt, not the grub> prompt. Most of
grub2 isn't there yet. I believe that 'insmod normal' would bring the
full grub2 environment, but that command is hitting the illegal access
barrier.

--
Joe