Re: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'

Le 06/05/2017 à 17:19, Joe a écrit :

However, the ls command I suggested may still be useful to check
GRUB's idea of the sizes.

ls (hd0)
(hd0): Filesystem is unknown.

ls (hd0,1)
(hd0,1): Filesystem is ext2. (after several seconds' pause)

I'm only getting the grub rescue> prompt, not the grub> prompt.

I expected that "ls" would be the same in normal and rescue mode. Obviously I was wrong.

If the GRUB version on the internal disk is the same, you could boot from it while the USB disk is connected, and if the BIOS exposes the USB disk even though it is not the boot disk (some BIOS do, others don't), then you could use the "ls" command in normal mode to check (hd1) and (hd1,1).

Also, if you want to check the partition table on the USB disk more thoroughly, you can print it (p) in expert mode (x) with fdisk to display both LBA and CHS parameters. CHS parameters cannot be used beyond 8 GiB and should contain 1023/254/63.