Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:01:01 -0500
rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> On Thu, October 15, 2015 6:53 am, Reco wrote:
> > Attach Ethernet cable to your laptop and printer via switch.
> >
> > Ensure that NetworkManager ignores your laptop's Ethernet interface
> > (eth0 for simplicity).
> >
> > Run (as root):
> >
> > ip l s dev eth0 up ip a a dev eth0 192.168.1.200/24
> >
> > "ping 192.168.1.210" should succeed.
> > "arping -I eth0 192.168.1.210" should show MAC 00:10:83:5D:43:2B.
> >
> > telnet 192.168.1.210
>
> Reco, this works perfectly.  Many thanks for including all the
> details.
>
> And it turns out (according to the ISP out there) that my associate is
> receiving via a radio link a single address (192.168.100.3) from the
> DHCP server of the ISP.
>
> So in order to accommodate an ethernet printer, I need to install and
> configure a router.
>
> My only experience with routers has been with a PC running IPCop, but
> I understand that there are small firmware-based routers, which I
> suppose include a firewall and DHCP server.  Have you any
> recommendations as to brand and model?

Pretty much any of the well-known names should be OK, though I've seen
many people speak ill of Belkin. TP-Link probably do the widest range
of low-cost network gear. I have a Linksys/Cisco cable router/WAP
that's OK apart from flaky firmware concerning RADIUS, but few small
networks go there. I picked it for being the cheapest RADIUS-capable
WAP I could find...

Just make sure it's a cable router i.e. that the WAN connection isn't a
DSL modem, they're probably more common in some parts of the world than
in the UK, where there's little call for them. You will certainly want
NAT and DHCP, but I'd expect all cable routers to do those, and once you
have NAT there's no point in leaving out a packet-filtering firewall.
It's probably a good idea to have a bit more control of what goes in
and out than whatever the ISP provides, which may be nothing.

You start getting picky about routers when you need to handle the more
exotic protocols, such as VPN and some online games. If your associate
is likely to need anything of that kind, you'll need to study the specs
and reviews for supported protocols.

Something to consider is that the Windows computer can do simple NAT
routing, with an additional network card (assuming it's a tower). Last
time I tried that was with XP, but it still seems to exist:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/using-ics-internet-connection-sharing

The Windows machine will do DHCP, but I think it's hard-coded to one
network. This should not be a problem, it used to be 192.168.1.0 in XP
days.

--
Joe