Re: [OT] Free software vs non-free, here we go again

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 12:34:12PM -0400, Doug wrote:

> On 09/29/2015 01:33 PM, Reco wrote:
> >	Hi.
> >
> >On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 01:22:09PM -0400, Doug wrote:
>
> /major snip/
> >

> >>Among programs which are not open and not free are several CAD programs
> >
> >That's hardly everyone's necessity.
> >

> >>and at least one office suite.
> >
> >That Chineese one, or M$ one?
> >

> >>I'm sure there are others.
> >
> >Reco
> >

> SoftmakerOffice is a nice non-free suite which to me is worth paying for.
> I don't have to bust my gut trying to learn LibreOffice, I can just use it.
> (There is a free version, but it's limited.)
>
> You may just be cheap, Reco. I'm willing to pay for what is not free
> when I deem it is worth my money to do so. YMMV.

Ok. So 'price' and 'freedom' for you equal to the amount of money you
pay (or not) to the vendor.
Personal attack set aside I too consider such position extremely simplistic
and limited (see others' responses).

Just because nobody in Debian requires you to pay money does not make
Debian free. The rules of distribution of the 'main' software included
in Debian, the ability to change said software, and use it for literally
any purpose, on the other hand - they do.

Speaking of 'cheap' - please search my alias at http://bugs.debian.org.
I do not consider apology necessary in this case.

Reco