Re: [OT] Free software vs non-free, here we go again

	Hi.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:57:13PM -0700, Seeker wrote:

> On 9/29/2015 10:33 AM, Reco wrote:
>

>     No, you are wrong here. First, you're trying to introduce a false
>     dichotomy as if 'proprietary' and 'non-free' are different somehow.
>     Second, 'non-free' is *always* a bad choice.
>

> "Hear me now, I have seen the light!
> They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul!
> Damn you!
> Let the rabbits wear glasses!
> Save our brothers!"
> Can I get an amen?
>
> Tool - Disgustipated
>
> http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/tool/disgustipated.html
>
> Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;-)

:)

> I hate binary blobs that are required to get some hardware to work as much
> as the next person, but I stop short of saying non-free is *always* a bad choice.

Well, my initial point was that non-free blobs (be it software and
firmware) bring suffering, and user of those has to suffer. 'Bad' is
merely a simplification of this concept.

Since I have a couple of instances of such hardware myself (damn you,
Ralink), I can only say that I feel your pain :)

> If you think of non-free in terms of Debian non-free, then non-free and proprietary
> can be different things. That gets into a whole different hornets nest.

Evaluate here, please. I honestly can not grasp this concept.

Reco