Re: [OT] Free software vs non-free, here we go again

On 09/27/2015 04:12 PM, Bob Holtzman wrote:
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 02:58:20PM +0300, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
On 27/09/2015 13:47, Reco wrote:

The above is one of the main reasons that many sysadmins prefer to use
RedHat and Windows despite the fact that both companies cannot always be
aware of very critical bugs.
Oh. Now you put the Red Hat Enterprise Linux in the non-free category.
May I ask why you did so?

Answer: Can I get a copy of this
[http://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/virtualization] without
paying and with all the benefits?

You're making the mistake of linux non-free soft ware with proprietary
software. I suggest you read up on open source software.

There is Linux software that is proprietary and not free. Just because that's the
case does not make such software a bad choice or a bad deal. One must decide what
the software will do, and if it is worth the price. Let us remember that many--
perhaps most--users of the Linux os are not programmers, and cannot take advantage
of software being open-source. Among programs which are not open and not free are
several CAD programs and at least one office suite. I'm sure there are others.

--doug