Re: [OT] Free software vs non-free, here we go again

	Hi.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 07:16:30PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 September 2015 18:33:41 Reco wrote:
> > Confusing 'open-source' with 'free software' is a common mistake.
>
> No, Reco.  _You_ are confusing the language.

I beg to differ, Lisi.

> In English English "free
> software" measn BOTH "open source" and "costs nothing".

That's something I'm aware of, but there's a subtle difference I believe
you might be missing.

'Open-source' by itself does not imply that the software is free (as in
libre).

A fine example of such software is RAR archiver.
They give you the source - https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rar
They forbid you to change it. They require you to buy the software after
a certain time of usage, or uninstall it.
They rightfully put RAR into non-free in Debian, because the software is
'non-free' indeed. But - it's definitely 'open-source'.

> He is confusing
> nothing, though he certainly didn't make himself clear.

As I probably did too.

> When I say free software I always say either "as in speech" or "as in beer" to
> make it clear which I mean.  But "free software" MEANS BOTH.
>
> If I am speaking to a linguist I simply use the French: gratuit or libre.

That's something I totally agree with.

Reco