Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 15/06/2015, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/14/2015 03:29 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 14/06/2015, Petter Adsen <petter@synth.no> wrote:
>>

>>> Check that they support your GPU at all first, sometimes it takes a
>>> little time for the open source drivers to implement support for the
>>> latest models. nVidia is really bad at releasing documentation that is
>>> needed by the nouveau developers.
>>>
>>> Other than that, I was under the impression that you had already tried
>>> them and had to use the proprietary drivers. You may have much better
>>> luck with nouveau.
>>>

>> At this stage, as everything that was expected to work, apparently
>> doesn't, including the manufacturer's driver, it has become a matter
>> of grasping at straws.
>
> Simple, purge all of your nvidia packages. Then install mlocate. As root
> user, updatedb, then locate nvidia. Clobber everything remaining. Follow
> this to make sure your blacklist is set up now to exclude nvidia,
> instead of nouveau
> http://blog.andresgomez.org/2014/11/19/switching-between-nouveau-and-the-nvidia-proprietary-opengl-driver-in-debian-gnulinux/

At the URL you provided below -
http://wiki.belmankraul.com/linux/mint16_bumblebee
is

"
It is recommended that you perform a full update of all packages in
system before attempting to install the Bumblebee packages / nVidia
drivers. Also if you have nvidia-current or other version of the
nvidia-drivers, you are advised to purge them with

sudo purge nvidia*

(Do not forget to reboot). nVidia ppa's other than xorg-edgers need to
be disabled or removed for the sake of this particular example.
"

Trying to run that purge command, retuens

"
:~# purge nvidia*
-su: purge: command not found
"

I note that that web page, above the cited text above, includes

"
This guide only applies to Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr 64-bit (under
Linux Mint 17 Qiana), using the nvidia-331 driver from xorg-edgers.
"

I believe that I had installed the manufacturer's specified driver;
v346, and, this is Debian 6 LTS.

> Make sure to erase xorg.conf before you reboot.

Previously mentioned that I had disabled that file.

> Question, why were you installing the "legacy" version of the nvidia
> driver? (195.XXX) You have a GEForce GT750M, which requires the latest
> driver, not the oldest.
> http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/84890/en-us

>From the first message that I posted, in this thread;

"
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 346.72.
"

That is the installed version of the manufacturer's driver, which had
made installing that driver, so difficult (rather than the driver
being such that it coul easily be installed using a Debian package
manager).

> Plus, a quick google search on: GEForce GT750M linux install
> finds a BUNCH of others reporting the same problem. Here is what you
> seemingly have:
> "Newer, high-end laptops have a hybrid technology composed of a
> high-performance HD display adapter and a 3D-accelerated adapter. For
> nVidia chipsets, this is called Optimus. It is designed so that the 3D
> acceleration is only used when needed, optimizing power consumption.
> This is done automatically in Windows systems through the nVidia driver.
> However, in Linux systems, implementing this feature and actually making
> use of the 3D capabilities is more complex, because as of 2014/08/07
> 12:52, there is no nVidia-native Optimus support in the Linux driver."
> http://wiki.belmankraul.com/linux/mint16_bumblebee
> So, this page author recommends "bumblebee". It's in the repos (non-free
> I would suspect) so you should get everything you need via snaptic.

A problem there, is, from that web page,

"
These instructions are provided for historical reference only and are
not recommended now that packages are available through the
repositories. Please refer to Bumblebee instead, if you wish to
install bumblebee on Debian.
"

wherein the word "Bumblebee" in that text, is a link, which leads to
the web page at
https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee

which includes the text

"
The instructions on this page applies to Debian Wheezy and newer.
Debian Squeeze and prior are not supported.
"

> You just happen to have the latest and greatest fraught with latest and
> greatest problems.

Yes, so it appears.

And, whilst Ubuntu 12.04 (being, I believe, of about a similar release
time, to Debian 6) can get the external monitor to work, Debian 6
cannot.

And, neither could Debian 7 get the external monitor to work.

Oh, and I tried to apply, from the web page at
https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee/ManualInstall
the part

"
To install the nvidia proprietary driver, you will have to install the
nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-dkms packages. If using Squeeze, the
backports repository needs to be enabled. Make sure APT has non-free
and contrib sources (consult the sources.list(5) man page for help on
doing this).

After refreshing the package lists using sudo apt-get update, install
the NVIDIA drivers with:

sudo apt-get install -t squeeze-backports nvidia-glx
linux-headers-$(uname -r) nvidia-kernel-dkms
(remove -t squeeze-backports if you are not using Squeeze)

The following command is very important, if you skip it you will loose
3D acceleration. Restore Mesa as the default GL library since the
primary display is running on the Intel graphics card:

sudo update-alternatives --set glx /usr/lib/mesa-diverted
"

and got

"
:~# apt-get install -t squeeze-backports nvidia-glx
linux-headers-$(uname -r) nvidia-kernel-dkms
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
nvidia-glx is already the newest version.
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-amd64 is already the newest version.
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-amd64 set to manually installed.
  nvidia-kernel-dkms
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 7,138 kB of archives.
After this operation, 24.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze/non-free
nvidia-kernel-dkms amd64 195.36.31-6squeeze2 [7,138 kB]
Fetched 7,138 kB in 12s (575 kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package nvidia-kernel-dkms.
(Reading database ... 152853 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nvidia-kernel-dkms (from
.../nvidia-kernel-dkms_195.36.31-6squeeze2_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up nvidia-kernel-dkms (195.36.31-6squeeze2) ...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 2.6.32-5-amd64
Building initial module for 2.6.32-5-amd64
Done.

nvidia.ko:
Running module version sanity check.
Warning! Cannot do version sanity checking because multiple nvidia.ko
modules were found in kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64.
 - Original module
   - This kernel never originally had a module by this name
 - Multiple same named modules!
   - 2 named nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/
 - Installation
   - Installing to /lib/modules/2.6.32-5-amd64/updates/dkms/

depmod.....

DKMS: install Completed.
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# sudo update-alternatives --set glx
/usr/lib/mesa-diverted
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for glx.
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# update-alternatives --set glx /usr/lib/mesa-diverted
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for glx.
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia primus
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package bumblebee-nvidia
E: Unable to locate package primus
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.7 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 CD
Binary-1 20130223-14:06]/ squeeze main

# deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
# deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main

# deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
# deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze main contrib non-free

deb http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze-lts main contrib non-free
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian squeeze-lts main contrib non-free

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian squeeze-backports main contrib non-free
root@bret-av3-772g-deb6:~# sudo apt-get install bumblebee primus
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package bumblebee
E: Unable to locate package primus
"

And, with the text

"
To install the nvidia proprietary driver, you will have to install the
nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-dkms packages. If using Squeeze, the
backports repository needs to be enabled. Make sure APT has non-free
and contrib sources (consult the sources.list(5) man page for help on
doing this).
"

with the string
"needs to be enabled"
being a link to the web page at
https://wiki.debian.org/Backports
I tried to follow the instructions for

"
Configuring your stable system

Adding the repository

Using Synaptic
Open Synaptic
Go to "Settings -> Repositories":
"

and copied and pasted the string for the repository to be added,

"
Copy the repository below, then hit the "Add Source" button:
deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free
"

relacing the string "jessie" with "squeeze", and, when I tried to add
it, got a "Not found" type error.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale