Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 06/15/2015 12:39 PM, Bret Busby wrote:

Get:1 http://http.debian.net/debian/ squeeze/non-free
nvidia-kernel-dkms amd64 195.36.31-6squeeze2 [7,138 kB]
Fetched 7,138 kB in 12s (575 kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package nvidia-kernel-dkms.
(Reading database ... 152853 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nvidia-kernel-dkms (from
.../nvidia-kernel-dkms_195.36.31-6squeeze2_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up nvidia-kernel-dkms (195.36.31-6squeeze2) ...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 2.6.32-5-amd64
Building initial module for 2.6.32-5-amd64

As I said, you are installing bits of nvidia 195 driver series. It's right there in your frigging log. <swears bluely>

That's for REAL OLD nvidia cards. You have a mess. Jerk it all out. Fire up synaptic, search on nvidia, check on what you currently have installed and remove it all, with great prejudice, fear and loathing. Your machine is somehow "sullied" and the only cure with be to drag it all out of the pot like a screaming ?Mandrake Root at Hogwarts. Then, follow the advice I laboriously pointed to and figure out how the bumblebee scheme rocks your world.

My GUESS is that it will install whatever it depends on. It is in the repo, if you have non-free kicked on. Just be sure to have everything else related to nvidia ripped out, as you have this hybrid from hell, that should work a treat if the technology will play nice. So, I would "think" that just apt-get install bumblebee will work. You have a one-of-a-kind there with that hybrid of Intel and Nvidia chippery. I've got no dog in the fight, but some off-hand lah-dee-dah googling brought up what situation your piece of kit is in, and hopefully a fix.

p/s if you were naughty and used the nvidia run-file method, at some point, you have to run that file again to erase whatever it installed. Just run "more" on that file and you will read the parameter you have to use to make it erase itself from the system. Or, you will have a real mess on your hands. Just don't install bumblebee until everything else is GONE. Then run locate nvidia and manually rip all of that out too.

The upside is that your problem is a known problem that cannot be remedied with standard nvidia driver installs. See? We just narrowed down the problem to something doable. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html