Re: Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 13/06/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/06/2015, Matthijs Wensveen <matthijs.wensveen@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As I had said, xwindows now no longer works on the system.
>>>
>>> What do I need to do, at the command line level, to get xwindows
>>> operable on the system?
>>>
>>> In the circumstances, it appears to be a congiuration or settings issue.
>>>
>>> Or, despite the information on the nvidia web site, perhaps the driver
>>> simply does not work with Debian 6.
>>>
>>> I note that the gcc version issues showed that the gcc version
>>> applicable to the driver, appeared to be an earlier version (4.3, I
>>> think) than the installed version when I installed gcc (4.4, I think)
>>> (but the discrepancy appeared to have been overcome in the procedure
>>> that I followed), indicating (I believe) that Debian 6 should not be a
>>> version to early for thenvidia driver.
>>>

>> It might be that you need to generate an Xorg.conf file from scratch.
>> Make sure to backup any existing configuration file first
>> (/etc/X11/xorg.conf). You can generate one using the nvidia-xconfig
>> package: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Configuration
>> - Matthijs
>>

> Hello.
>
> As previously mentioned, that wiki web page refers to only Debian 7
> and 8, and not to Debian 6, which is the applicable version.
>
> I will reboot into Debian 6 (I am currently in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which
> allows use of the external monitor, and which provided installation of
> an earlier (v3.3) nvidia driver), and see what I can find in the
> specified path.

Okay.

In running ls on /etc/X11/ , a file xorg.conf was listed, as was a file named
xorg.conf.nvidia-xconfig-original

The latter file showed no content, in running cat on it.

The former file had content;

"
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 346.72
(buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-19)  Tue May  5 18:19:38 PDT
2015

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
"

In thinking about it, as the creation of that file, had rendered
xwindows inoperable, I renamed the file, with an extra extension, and
rebooted.

So, I now have xwindows operating again, on Debian 6, on this
computer, but, the only way that I can get the external monitor to
work, is by running one of the two Ubuntu installations; 12.04 or
14.04. Unfortunately, they both involve GNOME3, and what I think of
GNOME3, is not polite.

So, I still can not get the external monitor to run, with Debian 6 or
7, on this computer, with its nvidia GEForce GT750M device.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."