Re: Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 12/06/2015, Matthijs Wensveen <matthijs.wensveen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11-6-2015 7:13, Bret Busby wrote:

>>> I don't think that will work. Try using nvidia-settings.
>>>

>> As I had said, xwindows now no longer works on the system.
>>
>> What do I need to do, at the command line level, to get xwindows
>> operable on the system?
>>
>> In the circumstances, it appears to be a congiuration or settings issue.
>>
>> Or, despite the information on the nvidia web site, perhaps the driver
>> simply does not work with Debian 6.
>>
>> I note that the gcc version issues showed that the gcc version
>> applicable to the driver, appeared to be an earlier version (4.3, I
>> think) than the installed version when I installed gcc (4.4, I think)
>> (but the discrepancy appeared to have been overcome in the procedure
>> that I followed), indicating (I believe) that Debian 6 should not be a
>> version to early for thenvidia driver.
>>

> It might be that you need to generate an Xorg.conf file from scratch.
> Make sure to backup any existing configuration file first
> (/etc/X11/xorg.conf). You can generate one using the nvidia-xconfig
> package: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Configuration
> - Matthijs

Hello.

As previously mentioned, that wiki web page refers to only Debian 7
and 8, and not to Debian 6, which is the applicable version.

I will reboot into Debian 6 (I am currently in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, which
allows use of the external monitor, and which provided installation of
an earlier (v3.3) nvidia driver), and see what I can find in the
specified path.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale