Re: want to know the difference

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015, Soumen Ghose wrote:

> Hello , There.
> I am soumen ghose, and gonna use debian linux for first time , so i
> want to download the iso file, but i have  a bit confusion. what is
> the difference between cd iso file and dvd iso file, i mean the cd
> iso file is 648 mb while is 4.4 gb . Do they both contain the same
> files and things or cd iso contain less than dvd iso file ?
> Thanks in advance

For installation purposes, the first CD of the set is all
you'll need to install Debian with the default desktop and a basic set
of applications.

The first DVD is the same but you have a greater choice of desktops to
install (install several or only the one you want), and more
applications.

There is also the option of specialized CDs which has a particular
desktop like XFCE or LXDE, etc. if you have no need of multiple
desktops and/or don't want the default one.

If you have a slow Internet connection, or no Internet at all, the DVD
option is the most versatile.  If you do, the NetInstall CD gives you
the greatest options as it's the smallest size (a couple hundred megs,
I think).  It installs a basic system, and you choose what additionally
you want install.  This is the option I usually choose as I get a
system exactly as I want it without extraneous stuff I don't need or
will never use.