Re: Unable to install nVidia driver on Debian 6 LTS - was - Re: How to boot without GUI

On 13/06/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> If it works under Ubuntu, have you considered copying the
>>> (working) xorg.conf file from there and trying it in your Debian
>>> installation?
>>>
>>> Petter
>>>

>> No, I hadn't considered that. It is a logical and good idea. Thank you
>> for
>> that.
>>
>> However, having now tried it, I got both screens blank - nothing
>> displayed.
>>
>> So, I also renamed that one, and rebooted without such a file, so that
>> the system would operate again, such as it is operable.
>>
>> That file content is thus;
>>
>> "
>> # Warning: This file is autogenerated by nvidia-prime. All changes to
>> this file will be lost.
>>
>> Section "ServerLayout"
>>     Identifier "layout"
>>     Screen 0 "nvidia"
>>     Inactive "intel"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>     Identifier "nvidia"
>>     Driver "nvidia"
>>     BusID "PCI:1@0:0:0"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>     Identifier "nvidia"
>>     Device "nvidia"
>>     # The internal display might not be connected
>>     # to the nvidia card but we definitely want
>>     # to be able to connect external displays later
>>     #Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
>>     Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>     Identifier "intel"
>>     Driver "modesetting"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>     Identifier "intel"
>>     Device "intel"
>> EndSection
>> "
>>

> Similarly, leading on from that, I thought that I would try it with
> the equivalent file from the Ubuntu 14.04 installation (the last one
> above, was from the Ubuntu 12.04 installation, being the installed
> operating system that is closest in release time, I believe, to Debian
> 6).
>
> But, I could not find an xorg.conf file, in the Ubuntu 14.04 installation.
>
> However, in thinking "maybe, while I am here, I should update the
> system", as it is in the same area, I found the information in the
> attached screenshot file - the Ubuntu 14.04 installation, which
> happily runs the external monitor, has available for installation, as
> did Ubunutu 12.04, the nvidia driver, and of the same version number,
> but, instead, Ubuntu 14.04 is using the nouveau driver, and,
> apparently, without an xorg.conf file, to run the external monitor,
> apparently without any problems.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,

I have now, again, examined another laptop computer that I have, which
successfully runs the external monitor, with Debian 6; the computer is
an Acer 5750G, with an nvidia GEForce GT520M.

I did not find an xorg.conf file under /etc/X11.

The command
lspci -nn | grep VGA
returns

"
:~#  lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Sandy
Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0116] (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device
[10de:0df7] (rev a1)
"

IIn running Synaptic, and searching on the string nvidia, to find what
nvidia drivers are installed (as I do not know how else to find that
information, in Debian 6), I found the following two packages
installed;

"
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver (experimental)

Version: 1:0.0.15+git20100329+7858345-5
"

and

"
xserver-xorg-video-nv
X.Org X server -- NV display driver

Version: 1:2.1.17-3
"

So, I will try to install them, on the system with the GEForce GT750M,
and find what happens.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale