Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On 20141111_0733-0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Brian wrote:

                                                   ^^^^^^
I think you meant 'except', rather than 'expect'. Right?
If one could absolutely rely on apt-get always getting it right, then

"apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"

could always be used to remove systemd even from a system that has
been booted into systemd and running, and not just in the context
of a pre-seed. Right?

But if that that apt-get command doesn't work on an installation of systemd,
*that* is a bug in apt-get that *should* be fixed in Jessie *before* it is
released. Right?

And the apt-get command,

"apt-get install -y systemd"

should switch a host that is running sysvinit or upstart, to running systemd.
If not that is *another* bug in apt-get that must be fixed before release of
Jessie.

If the release team were to accept that *both* these (hypothesized)
bugs are release critical, and have them tested and fixed before
release, then there might be peace once again in Debian.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net