Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Michael Biebl wrote:
Am 11.11.2014 um 00:43 schrieb Miles Fidelman:
Michael Biebl wrote:
Am 11.11.2014 um 00:14 schrieb Miles Fidelman:

Ok, then explain to me the procedure for running the installer in such a
way that systemd is never installed, thus avoiding any potential
problems that might result from later uninstallation all the
dependencies that systemd brings in with it.
Please be specific. What problems of of dependencies are you talking
about?

I've run into all together too many cases of dependency hell when
uninstalling software.  And the closer that software gets to the "core"
of the system, and the more packages that it brings in with it, the more
likely one is likely to run into dependency hell.
[..]

That kind of dependency.
Sorry, but that is not what I asked for. I asked for "specifics".
Your answer doesn't contain any specific problem which would make me
able to reproduce any problem.

I've tested various use cases and "apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"
always did the right thing.

Please show me an example where it doesn't.

Frankly, no. 40 years of experience administering various kinds of systems gives me some perspective. I've had enough experience with dependency hell on Debian (apt is phenomenal, expect when it isn't), and I've been reading enough bug reports and discussions on debian-devel and debian-user, that I don't need to waste time installing unstable, buggy software to tell me that all this stuff is going to cause me all kinds of trouble and waste all kinds of time that I really don't have to waste, just to verify instincts that I've come to trust over the years.

Miles Fidelman