Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

Brian wrote:
On Tue 11 Nov 2014 at 02:02:07 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:

Am 11.11.2014 um 01:58 schrieb Miles Fidelman:

Michael Biebl wrote:
Sorry, but that is not what I asked for. I asked for "specifics".
Your answer doesn't contain any specific problem which would make me
able to reproduce any problem.

I've tested various use cases and "apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"
always did the right thing.

Please show me an example where it doesn't.
Frankly, no.  40 years of experience administering various kinds of
systems gives me some perspective.  I've had enough experience with
dependency hell on Debian (apt is phenomenal, expect when it isn't), and
I've been reading enough bug reports and discussions on debian-devel and
debian-user, that I don't need to waste time installing unstable, buggy
software to tell me that all this stuff is going to cause me all kinds
of trouble and waste all kinds of time that I really don't have to
waste, just to verify instincts that I've come to trust over the years.
Well, I trust hard facts and testing over your instincts.

And those tell me, that you're claims are unfounded.
Placing the bar so high at "clean" for the reason given is unwarranted,
especially if preseeding with

    d-i base-installer/includes string sysvinit-core

is done. Then systemd-sysv is cleanly removed during the install of the
base system and there is no dependency hell to be considered.

Having removed the reason we can now not just lower the bar but dispense
with it entirely. Installing and booting with sysvinit-core becomes a
non-issue.

Perhaps you should read bug 668001

For Wheezy, if attempting a clean install of systemd:

if you use debootstrap unstable foo --include=systemd-sysv --exclude=sysvinit
the install fails

For Jessie:

The reverse fails.

I'd be quite happy if the installer were capable of a clean choice of init; at them moment that bug stands in the way.
And it's not just a matter of applying the (recently) contributed patch to debootstrap.  One has to also build an alternate
installer.

But maybe, you haven't been paying attention.

Miles Fidelman