Re: Installing an Alternative Init?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Michael Biebl wrote:

> Am 10.11.2014 um 17:26 schrieb Patrick Bartek:
> > On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> >> You can use pre-seeding and run
> >>
> >> preseed/late_command="in-target apt-get install -y sysvinit-core"
> >>
> >> in the debian-installer. While that does indeed first install
> >> systemd-sysv, it's directly replaced again during system
> >> installation and doesn't require you to boot with systemd as PID 1.
> >> So it might be pretty close to what you're looking for.
> >

> > Thanks.  But wouldn't it be nice if as an option, you could just
> > pick which init you wanted in the installer.  It would make things
> > so much easier.  Too late to implement this, I suppose.  Maybe, in
> > the next release?
>
> Most users simply don't care and don't want to be bothered with this.

I agree, but enough do -- mainly server guys -- that it is a problem.

> It's not like we prompt the user whether he wants to use grub or
> isolinux. If we added an explicit switch, this would have to be in
> expert-install-mode only imo. I can't speak for the d-i people, but

Maybe, we should for diversity of choice.  There is an option of where
to install grub after all even though most put it on the MBR.  But I
agree the init options should be in expert-install.  Will make everyone
happy.  Freedom of choice is the greatest freedom.

> since we entered freeze, I guess it's likely to late to add that for
> jessie. Especially, as already mentioned, you do already have a
> mechanism via preseed/late_command.

True, but for now, I'll be sticking with Wheezy until the security
updates stop. Not because it doesn't have systemd, but because it does
what I need it to do, and I've always been the "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it" type.

Maybe, the release after Jessie will include an init choice.