Re: Have never seen this previously...........

Charlie a écrit :

> Just deleted all partitions [It was just a win8 operating system] Then
> created the partition table, then installed the base system then grub,
> then installed what I needed as I required it.
>
>> Anyway, just run parted -l and it will tell you what partition type
>> it is.
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name           Flags
>  1      1049kB  1574MB  1573MB  ext3            /boot          boot, esp
>  2      1574MB  81.3GB  79.7GB  ext3            /home
>  3      81.3GB  82.8GB  1573MB  linux-swap(v1)
>  4      82.8GB  109GB   26.2GB  ext3            /usr
>  5      109GB   122GB   12.6GB  ext3            /var
>  6      122GB   128GB   6291MB  ext3            /tmp

You don't show the partition table type which was printed before the
partition list. However there are more than 4 partitions without an
extended partition, so it must be GPT.

Note that if the first partition, named "/boot", is actually mounted on
/boot, then it should not have the esp (EFI system partition) flag. The
ESP is a special FAT partition reserved to install UEFI-compatible boot
loaders. In a Linux system it is usually mounted on /boot/efi. This kind
of partition is not used by BIOS/CSM/legacy boot.

> But a warning that what? Suddenly something that has always been all
> right is no longer so?

A warning that due to the lack of a BIOS boot partition, GRUB core image
was installed as a plain file (core.img) in /boot/grub and a list of the
physical blocks it uses was embedded to load it at boot time, because
the boot image in the MBR cannot read a file system (only the core image
can). This is considered unreliable, because if any physical block or
sector containing a part of the core image is moved to another location
for any reason, then the block list won't match the actual location and
the boot will fail.

This is not a new issue, but grub-install strongly warns about it.

>>> Anyway, it was just a curiosity, not a bug as far as I can see
>>> because it boots and everything works.
>>
>> Until something (fsck, defrag, accidental deletion...) moves
>> filesystem blocks allocated to grub's core image. Now you've been
>> warned.
>
> Why would I use any of those?

Who knows ? You don't even have to use these tools. The system might
decide to transparently move blocks in the filesystem or any undelying
storage layer (LVM, software RAID...). You could set the file's
"immutable" flag with chattr to prevent it, but don't forget to reset it
before any grub upgrade.

If you want to eliminate that risk (and the warning message) for good,
as unlikely as it may be, just create a BIOS boot partition and
reinstall grub. If you have no space left for a new partition, just
reduce the swap partition by 1 MB.