Re: Have never seen this previously...........

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 11:49:34 +0200 Pascal Hambourg sent:

> Charlie a écrit :
> >
> > Wipe it with gparted
>
> How ? Did you create a new partition table/disklabel (what type ?) or
> just delete all previously existing partitions ?

Just deleted all partitions [It was just a win8 operating system] Then
created the partition table, then installed the base system then grub,
then installed what I needed as I required it.

> Anyway, just run parted -l and it will tell you what partition type
> it is.
Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name           Flags
 1      1049kB  1574MB  1573MB  ext3            /boot          boot, esp
 2      1574MB  81.3GB  79.7GB  ext3            /home
 3      81.3GB  82.8GB  1573MB  linux-swap(v1)
 4      82.8GB  109GB   26.2GB  ext3            /usr
 5      109GB   122GB   12.6GB  ext3            /var
 6      122GB   128GB   6291MB  ext3            /tmp

I don't think this is anything special? The same as I've always done.

>  and set up my partitions: /root, /home, /usr, /var
> > etc., etc.. Allow grub to install.
>
> Install grub before installing the base system ?

No. As I wrote, installed base system

> > Then put in the netinstall disk, install a basic system with that.
> > Reboot and start using it adding whatever packages I need as I
> > require them.
> >
> > That's it.
> >
> > Not difficult I don't think, and I update and upgrade about once a
> > week, and have never had that error message previously.
>
> It's a warning, not an error.

But a warning that what? Suddenly something that has always been all
right is no longer so?

> > No worries. Obviously something changed in the last upgrade.
>
> Or there was no grub upgrade until the last upgrade.
>
> > Anyway, it was just a curiosity, not a bug as far as I can see
> > because it boots and everything works.
>
> Until something (fsck, defrag, accidental deletion...) moves
> filesystem blocks allocated to grub's core image. Now you've been
> warned.

Why would I use any of those? My laptop has been running
testing for 8 years, thought it was 7 years till I checked the dates,
and never had to do any of those things that I can recall.

Though my latest laptop that was going to be thrown away by
someone running XP, which is also 5 years old, is running Jessie only
for the last couple of months?

Interesting; thanks for the response. It's appreciated. Now I know.

Be well,
Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	No one can make you feel inferior without your
	consent. ...Eleanor Roosevelt