Re: Installing/updating packages are very slow

On 10/25/14, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sb, 25 oct 14, 19:04:18, Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>> :~# df -h
>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sda8              77G   73G  194M 100% /home
>
> Can't tell if this is the source of you problems, but I've seen all
> sorts of strange failures with a full /home, including X not starting at
> all. You should probably do something about this.

Have tried to follow "df" conversations before and been lost.. For
some reason, THIS time a piece of it clicked.

To Bret, WOW.. The size there stood out to me because it was only
recently I manually backed my /home up and incidentally noticed its
size.. I do a decent amount of personal computing, and my /home is
only 82MB large. My /home's pretty much just ignored and left to its
own doing, too.

Won't ask what's in there because that's a personal thing.. Maybe
there are a lot of downloaded files, documents, images, that kind of
thing that could be reorganized somewhere else?

This is the point where threads sometimes go to the tip of telling our
browsers to ask us where we want to download things. Alternatively we
have the CHOICE to also semi-permanently tell many browsers to
automatically download somewhere other than
/home/[userName]/Downloads, into a separate dedicated partition, for
example..

Thumbnails are another place that can accumulate size over time. I'm
not going to advocate what I do here because I just wing it. I do know
that at least some how-to's advocate explicitly excluding hidden
thumbnail folders during backups. I take that to imply thumbnails are
very fleeting, in other words are "temporary" and easily replaceable..
*wink*

If your /home stuff is not too personal to share once you discover
what created that size, it might help others avoid their own 100%..
They'll know where to proactively avoid the same size issue, if
nothing else just by creating a larger partition wherever /home
resides should they happen to have computing habits similar to yours..

Just thinking out loud.. :)

Cindy

--
Cindy-Sue Causey