Re: Have never seen this previously...........

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:52:36PM +1100, Charlie wrote:

> 	From my Keyboard:
>
> Debian Jessie amd64
> Toshiba laptop
> Upgrade of a moment ago:
>
> Installing for i386-pc platform.
> grub-install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot
> Partition; embedding won't be possible. grub-install: warning:
> Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by
> using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is
> discouraged.. Installation finished. No error reported. Generating grub
> configuration file ... Found background

Looks like grub has detected a GPT disk - probably the disk you're
trying to install grub to? - in a BIOS-style system (that is, *not*
UEFI). Grub is looking for a partition in which it can install files.
This partition must be of type 0xEF02 and/or GUID
21686148-6449-6e6f-744e656564454649 ("Hah!IdontNeedEFI" in hex ;).

On an MBR disk, Grub will install Stage 1 into the first sector of the
disk, Stage 1.5 into the gap between there and the first partition and
Stage 2 in your /boot directory.
On a GPT disk using UEFI, Grub will install entirely into the ESP
(partition type 0xEF00) and the firmware will find that somewhere on the
disk - that is, AFAIK, there are no "magic locations" on a GPT disk.
On a GPT disk using BIOS, though, GRUB will still install Stage 1 into
the first sector, but then there's no suitable place for it to put Stage
1.5. So you're expected to create the Bios Boot Partition, into which
Grub will install Stage 1.5. No file system should be created on this
partition.