Re: lightdm's "Default Xsession"?

Andrei POPESCU writes:
> On Vi, 24 oct 14, 09:33:59, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

> > > I prefer to do this at system level (i.e. will work for any DM):
> > >
> > >     update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
> >
> > That's smarter but doesn't always work.
> > As an example I always use awesome and sometimes i3 but the command above returns only xfce4-session
> > ie no alternatives.
>
> Those probably only install themselves as x-window-manager so this
> should work instead
>
>     update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> Not exactly sure how display managers handle defaults when you have
> both. Per user there is also ~/.dmrc.

In this particular case, the problem was an ~/.xinitrc, (linked to
~/.xsession, dated 1994!!! launching fvwm,) in the user's account. If
a .xinitrc/.xsession file exists, it is executed as "Default Session"
by lightdm, (regardless of the system's default session; BTW, but not
as a login session, i.e., not via bash -l.)

Obviously, none of the suggestions offered, (all competent,) in the
list would work under these circumstances.

    Thanks to all,

    John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/