Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> writes:
Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:
Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> writes:
OK, I'll be the first to admit that after Red Hat caused the demise
of ConsoleKit (and probably lots more important software), I am
free to take significant time out of my day job (that feeds my
family) and rescue all sorts of software that Red Hat deliberately
scuttled. Even though, apparently unlike 80% of today's kernel
developers, nobody pays me to do it.
You are free to do so in your free time. It would be a more
constructive use than trying to annoy other people (who spend their
free time on Linux) until they do so for you for free.
So, reading between the lines, you find my saying "don't break Linux"
annoying.
No, what I find annoying is telling volunteer what they have to do
without doing anything yourself on the issues you raise and repeating
"don't break Linux" endlessly. I think everybody knows by now you
believe that, there's no (constructive) use in further repeating it.

So, by your logic, if a horde of volunteers blow into town after a crisis - then proceed to muck things up, all in the name of helping - nobody has a right to complain?

And, it's worth noting that, given how many people working on Linux (and other open source projects) are paid by their employers to do so, this is not about the actions of volunteers.

Miles Fidelman