Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> writes:
> Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:
>> Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> writes:
>> > OK, I'll be the first to admit that after Red Hat caused the demise
>> > of ConsoleKit (and probably lots more important software), I am
>> > free to take significant time out of my day job (that feeds my
>> > family) and rescue all sorts of software that Red Hat deliberately
>> > scuttled. Even though, apparently unlike 80% of today's kernel
>> > developers, nobody pays me to do it.
>>
>> You are free to do so in your free time. It would be a more
>> constructive use than trying to annoy other people (who spend their
>> free time on Linux) until they do so for you for free.
>
> So, reading between the lines, you find my saying "don't break Linux"
> annoying.

No, what I find annoying is telling volunteer what they have to do
without doing anything yourself on the issues you raise and repeating
"don't break Linux" endlessly. I think everybody knows by now you
believe that, there's no (constructive) use in further repeating it.

As a comparison: I don't go to the PHP mailing lists and tell them that
they have to fix their namespace operator (\) or rewrite software I
might want to use in a sane[1] language. I think the current systemd
threads here are pretty much that.

In fact, I've become annoyed enough by these threads that I won't bother
to look at sysvinit support in my packages any longer -- if it breaks I
won't look at it myself. I won't spend my free time on fixing things for
people who annoy me.

Ansgar

  [1] According to my view of the world ;)