Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On 14/10/14 16:48, Steve Litt wrote:
So are you saying I could use sysvinit or nosh as my PID1, drop in
libpam-systemd and no other systemd components, and have all PAM
functionalities run properly?

Thank you for the clarification.

The short and vague answer is "no"; PAM modules that depend on external programs for correct operation don't run properly if those programs aren't present. (pam_systemd is not the only such module that is part of Debian.)

For a longer and more accurate answer, I refer to the pam_systemd(8) man page:

       If the system was not booted up with systemd as init system, this
       module does nothing and immediately returns PAM_SUCCESS.

It appears, then, that the answer is that your other PAM modules will not be prevented from running properly, while the pam_systemd module's behaviour will be reduced to a no-op returning PAM_SUCCESS, presumably meaning that it won't cause any PAM failures but that programs which expect it to have done something useful will probably not work correctly.