Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 00:15:40 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 14 oct 14, 16:31:04, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > Of course, then there's the matters of upstreams requiring
> > systemd...
>
> As far as I understand none of the upstreams are actually requiring
> systemd itself (or more accurately systemd-logind), but the
> interfaces it is providing.

I fail to see the distinction.

> And it also seems to make sense (why
> should every Desktop Environment implement it's own solution for
> this?).

Because you don't want to inextricably drag a giant monolith into your
Desktop Environment just to do a few things. And how were they handling
this task before systemd? It's not like Desktops, Window Managers and
whatever things like lightdm are called didn't exist before systemd.

SteveT