Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014 18:35:34 +0100
Martin Read <zen75502@zen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 14/10/14 16:48, Steve Litt wrote:
> > So are you saying I could use sysvinit or nosh as my PID1, drop in
> > libpam-systemd and no other systemd components, and have all PAM
> > functionalities run properly?
>
> Thank you for the clarification.
>
> The short and vague answer is "no"; PAM modules that depend on
> external programs for correct operation don't run properly if those
> programs aren't present. (pam_systemd is not the only such module
> that is part of Debian.)
>
> For a longer and more accurate answer, I refer to the pam_systemd(8)
> man page:
>
>         If the system was not booted up with systemd as init system,
> this module does nothing and immediately returns PAM_SUCCESS.
>
> It appears, then, that the answer is that your other PAM modules will
> not be prevented from running properly, while the pam_systemd
> module's behaviour will be reduced to a no-op returning PAM_SUCCESS,
> presumably meaning that it won't cause any PAM failures but that
> programs which expect it to have done something useful will probably
> not work correctly.

Thanks for the clarification Martin,

I therefore drop my PAM based objection, if and only if I see
convincing evidence that Debian will always give and additional PID1
choice that is PID1 and nothing but PID1, and works with regular PAM,
and regular PAM continues to be supported.

Of course, then there's the matters of upstreams requiring systemd...

SteveT