Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:02:03 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ma, 14 oct 14, 17:56:58, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > Because you don't want to inextricably drag a giant monolith into
> > your Desktop Environment just to do a few things.
>
> If you compare systemd with a Desktop Environment I'm not quite sure
> who's the giant ;)

Yeah, I wasn't clear. I meant giant relative to what needed to be done.
In other words, you need to verify passwords, so you bring in the
entirety of systemd to do it, instead of just writing the code yourself.

I completely understand not reinventing the wheel, but if all you need
is a spoke, you don't construct an interface to a whole wheel just to
get your spoke.

> > And how were they handling
> > this task before systemd? It's not like Desktops, Window Managers
> > and whatever things like lightdm are called didn't exist before
> > systemd.
>
> ConsoleKit, unmaintained.

Pre-cisely. I see Red Hat's fingerprints all over that unmaintained
status. If not for Red Hat, somebody would have picked up ConsoleKit.
After all, as shown in
http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/whos-writing-linux ,
there's plenty of money floating around to pay for free software
development.

SteveT