Re: Let's have a vote!

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 11:01:24 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Steve Litt writes:
> > I assume that implicit in your reply is that such a major version
> > upgrade works well, and that over the years you don't get all sorts
> > of accumulated software dust bunnies doing funny things to you.
>
> > How many others here have experiences like Chris'? My opinions are
> > based on Windows, Mandrake and Mandriva.
>
> I installed Buzz, upgraded at each release until I went to 64-bit,
> reinstalled, and have continued upgrading since then.  Never had a
> serious problem.  I have no idea what you mean by "software dust
> bunnies".

An upgraded system is not necessarily identical to a new installation,
even to the point of not containing exactly the same packages. I first
noticed that with etch, when I made a new installation which should
have been the same as my own former sarge system, but wasn't quite. I
assume it's a matter of 'you can't get there from here' in a few minor
places.

Whether that makes a difference with an all-Debian-repository stable
system, I don't know. I would guess that two installations could
differ in quite a few minor ways while remaining functionally the
same. I've never seen any issues with upgrades, other than one major
breakage of exim4 because the new version choked on debconfs. I learned
from that to always use the maintainer's new configuration file when
asked, and to try dropping in my old config file after everything was
safely installed and settled down.

But upgrade day is always a bit traumatic, and while I do it remotely,
I've never had the nerve to be more than twenty feet away at the time,
and I usually cheat and plug in a monitor to see if a reboot is being
delayed by an unexpected fsck.

--
Joe