Re: Let's have a vote!

On 09/28/2014 05:25 PM, Joe wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 11:01:24 -0500
> John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:
>

> An upgraded system is not necessarily identical to a new installation,
> even to the point of not containing exactly the same packages. I first
> noticed that with etch, when I made a new installation which should
> have been the same as my own former sarge system, but wasn't quite. I
> assume it's a matter of 'you can't get there from here' in a few minor
> places.

It's more that Debian tries not to change things unless you ask it to.
For example, if the default mail server were to change between releases.
 New installs would have the new default, while older ones would just
upgrade the version of the mailserver you already have.

It's entirely possible to use virtual packages to move people from the
old default to the new during upgrades, but that would be incredibly bad
practice. Debian aims for stability, even during upgrades between stable
releases.

-PaulNM