Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream

On 09/25/2014 05:00 PM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 03:15:36PM -0700, koanhead wrote:
>> can't use.
>>
>> I brought this up once on #offtopic and was told that sysvinit doesn't
>> work on bsds (that's a paraphrase using the same words, not a quote) and
>> then ridiculed.
>
> It's not that sysvinit doesn't work on bsds, it might, it's that the
> BSD's use different init systems.
>
> https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/usenix01/freenix01/full_papers/mewburn/mewburn_html/

I'm aware of BSD-style init, but the mailing-list thread [1] I posted
indicates that Debian GNU/kFreeBSD doesn't use it but instead uses
sysvinit (otherwise they wouldn't care so much about bitrot among
sysvinit scripts nor cite "stay with sysvinit" as among their options.)
In the context of a discussion about Debian, I don't care so much what
the other BSD variants do.

On 09/26/2014 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> As you can see, systemd is available for all CPU architectures currently
> supported by Debian (including arm64 and ppc64el which are still racing
> to make it in time for Jessie).
Yes, I see that now. Thanks very much for the clarification :^)