Still no wifi passwords after routine Jessie upgrade.

Near the beginning of September, I reported suddenly being unable to
connect to wifi in coffee shops.  Around the same time, I has done a
routine upgrade to my jessie system; I do this every week or two.

Everything had been working fine before.

I am now unable to connect to any hot spot that has a password, even if I
know the password.  Luckily, my wifi at home is open -- no password
required -- so I can still use wifi here.

It was suggested to me that network-manager might be to blame and that I
should try wifi-radar instead.  No luck here, either.  At home,
everything's OK; elsewhere, no dice.

So it seems that something has changed in my system that no longer allows
me to use passwords when connecting to wifi.

Any further ideas?

I'm running a regularly updated "testing" system on an i386 netbook;
specifically, an ASUS HE1000 (if I remember the model number correctly.
it was the  first ASUS netbook to require no proprietary drivers at all;
ironically, it was available only with Windows preinstalled).  It has
performed well for years.

-- hendrik