Re: Let's have a vote!

Martin Read wrote:
On 26/09/14 20:05, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Actually, no - I've been following this, and related threads, from the
beginning - I have not seen anybody actually mention that a GR was
tried.  Do you have a reference?

https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/03/msg00114.html

Martin, Thank you for the reference.

Though.. after a little more research:

- that message was the conclusion of https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/01/msg00000.html - GR: Selecting the default init system for Debian - started on 1/19, which essentially concluded 'let's wait for the TC to make a decision before voting on a GR' - the message you cite was essentially to close at a GR discussion that had become inactive

- the more interesting, and relevant GR proposal was this one: https://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2014/03/msg00000.html - Proposal - preserve freedom of choice of init systems dated 2/28, AFTER the TC vote (2/11) - the core of which was "In general, software may not require a specific init system to be pid 1" -- the proposal was made, and received 3 seconds, but not the required 5 - after a LOT of parliamentary wrangling that, IMHO, was rather embarrassing - and eventually withdrawn by the original proposer

I must say that I'm very surprised by the outcome of that one - it's the action that would have avoided forcing dependencies on systemd down everyone's throats.

Miles Fidelman