Re: Let's have a vote!

On 09/22/2014 at 06:54 AM, Darac Marjal wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 03:04:24PM +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> Users DO get a vote. Every time you download an ISO for debian,
> that's a vote. Every time you install a system as debian, that's a
> vote.

Those are votes for Debian, but not for systemd, or for "Debian with
systemd as central".

In the case at hand, the latter two are what people are asking to be
able to have a vote (or at least meaningful input other than making
noise) on, by virtue of being users who will be affected by the decision
rather than by virtue of doing work to implement the decision.

Now, I can perfectly well see the argument that someone who does do the
work and has proven themselves reliable in that regard should get *more*
of a voice and more of a vote than someone who just demands that things
be done the way they want them.

But for the latter person to be represented only by the voices of those
among the "do the work" group whom they can convince to share their
view, rather than having a direct voice (however disproportionately
smaller) of their own, smacks of "only the people who do the work have
any say in things" - of "what the users think doesn't matter by itself".
Which seems problematic.

- --
   The Wanderer