Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:40:02 PM UTC+5:30, Steve Litt wrote:
> I don't necessarily disagree, but I very strongly believe its first
> step should be to go to a text file with one line per event, or perhaps
> some sublines. If that text file were designed correctly, perhaps with
> field separators, it would be trivial to write a C or Python program to
> input it into Postgres. I just want to make sure that I can read that
> log on any Linux, BSD, or even (ugh) Mac and Windows.

Two examples come to mind

1. Firefox sometime (around version 4??) switched from storing
bookmarks in a half-cooked html file to sqlite.  There
was a riot.  The devs however went ahead and switched not just
bookmarks but history and other stuff also.  Has firefox been the
worse for it??

2. 10-15 years ago windows was famous for 'corrupted registry' The
linux fan-boys of the time would proclaim: 'Aah! Windows! In linux
theres no such problem!'  Now whats the linux equivalent of the registry?
Its /etc -- nics, nacs, bits, pieces and random stuff thrown around [Just
hear the word 'etc']

But the windows devs did not listen. Instead in XP they tightened the bolts
on the registry -- multi-levelled backups and what not.

When is the last you've heard of a windows registry corrupted?

So no speaking as a CS-ist, structuring is good unstructured is bad.
and text is the limit of unstructured.  Hear Alan Perlis:

| The string is a stark data structure and everywhere it is passed
| there is much duplication of process.
| It is a perfect vehicle for hiding information.

However speaking as an ordinary user my machine is quasi broken right
now thanks to systemd :-) [No time/leisure to chase that right now]

Is it bad design or teething troubles??? We shall see...