Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Slavko <linux@slavino.sk> wrote:
> Dňa Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:58:47 -0400 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> napísal:
>>
>> If tomh-init is faster than htom-init, whether there's just ssh
>> running or 100 daemons running, I want to use tomh-init.
>>
>> I can understand that there are people who don't want to adopt systemd
>> simply because it boots faster because they dislike some other
>> aspect(s) of systemd, but attacking systemd because it boots faster is
>> silly.
>
> I know, that you are not responding to me, but i have one note:
>
> The boot speed is often used as argument for the systemd. But no all
> users are interested on boot time, then there are reaction as this (and
> as my). IMO, there aren't a lot information about other aspects of
> systemd and then people (include me) don't know about them.
>
> Until will be boot time again and again used as argument, then here
> will be responses as these.
>
> To be precise, i often read about these things: monolitic, binary files
> and boot speed. I don't like first two and i am not interested in
> latest.

I thought that I'd answered you.

I'm objecting to this line of reasoning: I'm not interested in boot
speed therefore I'm not interested in systemd.

Since you're not interested in boot speed, you shouldn't care that
boot's faster with systemd! You don't have to dislike everything that
systemd claims that it provides.

But if you want to say "boot speed isn't enough of an argument for me
to like/use systemd", fine.

Re "binary files": Please repeat after me "systemd doesn't require
binary files." I currently have two systemd systems, a sid VM (where
systemd-sysv has been pulled in by the recent libpam-systemd
dependency change) and a Fedora 20 installation on my laptop. On the
sid VM, I have the default Debian setup whereby journald forwards logs
to rsyslog and the logs are stored in text files in "/var/log/". On my
Fedora installation, I've set "Storage=persistent" in
"/etc/systemd/journald.conf" so my only logs are binary files in
"/var/log/journal/".

Re "monolithic": Someone said earlier in the thread "gratuitous
interdependency". That's more accurate. There are many executables in
systemd and many are interdependent. A systemd fan would tell you that
the interdependency isn't gratuitous; I'd tend to disagree.