Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 6:44 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 15:34:22 -0400
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Andrew McGlashan
>> <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
>>> On 4/08/2014 11:32 PM, Tom H wrote:
>
>>> Sure it counts, but if you have 1000s of servers, you likely have
>>> many other considerations and you'll be pooling [at least] those
>>> servers in a cluster type arrangement ... much lessening the need
>>> for any machine to startup so quickly.
>>
>> It's a nice theory. I'll give you an example (not fully technical but
>> an example nonetheless; and I could give you others.
>>
>> Suppose that you have a 16-node cluster, some patches were applied to
>> the systems overnight, a mistake was made, and you have to correct
>> this mistake on all of the systems during trading hours. Once you get
>> all the OKs that are needed for this kind of emergency change, the
>> head of the trading desk that uses that cluster calls you and says
>> "I'm going to be on the line for as long as you're working on our
>> system." So you fix one node, reboot it, make sure that it's back in
>> the cluster and doing its job, and fix another, etc. You can be sure
>> that everyone's happier that the systems boot quickly and that the
>> cluster was running with 15 rather than 16 nodes for as few minutes as
>> possible (because you can be sure that the fact that this cluster
>> wasn't running at full capacity for X minutes will come up in
>> managerial meetings, both in IT ones and in IT-Business ones).
>
> If I understand correctly, these nodes are servers. Tell me one more
> time, just so I understand, why do these boxes have so many daemons
> that their boots take minutes?

Who cares how many daemons are running?!

If tomh-init is faster than htom-init, whether there's just ssh
running or 100 daemons running, I want to use tomh-init.

I can understand that there are people who don't want to adopt systemd
simply because it boots faster because they dislike some other
aspect(s) of systemd, but attacking systemd because it boots faster is
silly.

Everyone wants faster boot and wake-up. One of the reasons I hear time
and again regarding iPads is that they're so much better than laptops
and desktops because you cna use them instantly. So it's not just in
data centers that fast boot is appreciated.