Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Mi, 06 aug 14, 11:54:17, Slavko wrote:

> Yes, you have rsyslog for storing logs in text files. Now you have two
> deamons for one thing. Nice, but where is the advantage?

rsyslog is only needed if you want text logs. You could remove it and
configure journald to store its own (binary).

> I understand that sometime there is time to change, e.g. from text to
> binary files, it is OK. But to i (and perhaps others too) can accept
> this change, it must give something, what is useful for me.
>
> Then what are advantages of the systemd? I see only disadvantages...

The advantage of journald is that it captures more information because
it runs much earlier and also because it captures stdin (?!) and stderr
of daemons. The data has more metadata and is also better structured and
indexed (hence the need for binary storage).

Kind regards,
Andrei