Re: End of hypocrisy ?

Ahoj,

Dňa Tue, 5 Aug 2014 16:33:23 -0400 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> napísal:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Slavko <linux@slavino.sk> wrote:
> > Dňa Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:58:47 -0400 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>
> > napísal:
> >>
> >> If tomh-init is faster than htom-init, whether there's just ssh
> >> running or 100 daemons running, I want to use tomh-init.
> >>
> >> I can understand that there are people who don't want to adopt
> >> systemd simply because it boots faster because they dislike some
> >> other aspect(s) of systemd, but attacking systemd because it boots
> >> faster is silly.
> >
> > I know, that you are not responding to me, but i have one note:
> >
> > The boot speed is often used as argument for the systemd. But no all
> > users are interested on boot time, then there are reaction as this
> > (and as my). IMO, there aren't a lot information about other
> > aspects of systemd and then people (include me) don't know about
> > them.
> >
> > Until will be boot time again and again used as argument, then here
> > will be responses as these.
> >
> > To be precise, i often read about these things: monolitic, binary
> > files and boot speed. I don't like first two and i am not
> > interested in latest.
>
> I thought that I'd answered you.
>
> I'm objecting to this line of reasoning: I'm not interested in boot
> speed therefore I'm not interested in systemd.
>
> Since you're not interested in boot speed, you shouldn't care that
> boot's faster with systemd! You don't have to dislike everything that
> systemd claims that it provides.
>
> But if you want to say "boot speed isn't enough of an argument for me
> to like/use systemd", fine.

Yes, that is what i mean, thanks for help - writing my thinks in
English is sometime terrible for me.

> Re "binary files": Please repeat after me "systemd doesn't require
> binary files." I currently have two systemd systems, a sid VM (where
> systemd-sysv has been pulled in by the recent libpam-systemd
> dependency change) and a Fedora 20 installation on my laptop. On the
> sid VM, I have the default Debian setup whereby journald forwards logs
> to rsyslog and the logs are stored in text files in "/var/log/". On my
> Fedora installation, I've set "Storage=persistent" in
> "/etc/systemd/journald.conf" so my only logs are binary files in
> "/var/log/journal/".
>
> Re "monolithic": Someone said earlier in the thread "gratuitous
> interdependency". That's more accurate. There are many executables in
> systemd and many are interdependent. A systemd fan would tell you that
> the interdependency isn't gratuitous; I'd tend to disagree.

The interdependency is better describing it - thanks again, but from
my point of view, if some parts are not able to work one without other,
it is a monolithic block, only splitted to more processes. I am not
able to decide (or rate) if this is gratuitous or not, i only see, that
there are more things together.

Yes, you have rsyslog for storing logs in text files. Now you have two
deamons for one thing. Nice, but where is the advantage?

I understand that sometime there is time to change, e.g. from text to
binary files, it is OK. But to i (and perhaps others too) can accept
this change, it must give something, what is useful for me.

Then what are advantages of the systemd? I see only disadvantages...

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk