Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 10:21:04AM -0700, Rusi Mody wrote:
> On Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:40:02 PM UTC+5:30, Steve Litt wrote:
> > I don't necessarily disagree, but I very strongly believe its first
> > step should be to go to a text file with one line per event, or perhaps
> > some sublines. If that text file were designed correctly, perhaps with
> > field separators, it would be trivial to write a C or Python program to
> > input it into Postgres. I just want to make sure that I can read that
> > log on any Linux, BSD, or even (ugh) Mac and Windows.
>
> Two examples come to mind
>
> 1. Firefox sometime (around version 4??) switched from storing
> bookmarks in a half-cooked html file to sqlite.  There
> was a riot.  The devs however went ahead and switched not just
> bookmarks but history and other stuff also.  Has firefox been the
> worse for it??

I do miss the ability to grep my bookmarks.html file.  Maybe there's a
way to do it with sqlite, but I never learned.

One thing that attracted me to Linux many years ago was that due to its
Unix heritage, many old programs and protocols were still in use.  I
liked the idea of not having to re-learn everything periodically.  I
specifically remember reading up on ntp and was amazed (I was a Windows
user at the time) that such an old protocol was still in use.  I liked
that.

So for me, if somebody changes the way things are done, there had better
be a huge improvement.  Since sysvinit was working fine (for me),
systemd is nothing but a time waster because I now have to learn
something new in order to do the same thing I've always done.  I like
learning new things, but I want new capabilities for my effort -- real
capabilities that benefit me, not just theoretical advantages.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.  I realize that the developers don't work
for me, so I'll take what I get.  But I reserve the right to grumble
about it!

-Rob