Re: End of hypocrisy, beginning of reason

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 7:01 PM, AW <debian.list.tracker@1024bits.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 17:57:02 -0400
> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> journalctl SYSLOG_FACILITY=4
>
> Thanks!
> But why '4'? Why not '42'? Or even better...
> journalctl show auth
> journalctl show apache2
> journalctl show postgresql
> or even better still
> journalctl show -v postgresql

You're welcome.

Weirdly, you can find the correspondence between the facility name and
the facility number in "/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/sys/syslog.h"
and not in a man page. (You can also find it in the IETF syslog RFC!)

The ones that I keep in mind are 3 (daemons), 4 (auth), 10 (authpriv).
I can't remember any other, although I /think/ that mail is 2.

Run "journalctl -u <daemon>" (u for unit) to see the log for a specific service.

"journalctl -u <daemon>" is the same as (or perhaps I should say
"short for") "journalctl _SYSTEMD_UNIT=<daemon>.service". I don't know
why you have to append ".service" to the latter but tab completion
takes care of it anyway.