Re: End of hypocrisy, beginning of reason

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 19:01:57 -0400
AW <debian.list.tracker@1024bits.com> wrote:

 > But why '4'?  Why not '42'? Or even better...

This makes the number '4' meaningful...
SyslogFacility=

    Sets the syslog facility to use when logging to syslog. One of
kern, user, mail, daemon, auth, syslog, lpr, news, uucp, cron,
authpriv, ftp, local0, local1, local2, local3, local4, local5, local6
or local7. See syslog(3) for details. This option is only useful when
StandardOutput= or StandardError= are set to syslog. Defaults to daemon.
Found here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.exec.html

If I count from zero...
0 = kernel
1 = user
2 = mail
3 = daemon
4 = auth

So it would seem that SYSLOG_FACILITY=4   is setting the variable [thus
the capitals] to look only at those messages that correspond to
auth...  This is entirely unintuitive...  and inconsistent with the
operation of sending messages to the log through syslog...
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/syslog.3.html

Here, you would use the much more intuitive variable setting of LOG_AUTH
Now, that makes sense --- why the incongruity in settings between
sending to the log and retrieving from the log?

Anyway -- I'll stop posting my musings, thoughts, and findings -- I'm
sure I'm running late on this subject in comparison to many people
here...

--Andrew