Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 21/07/2014 18:23, Tom H a écrit :

>>> I switched today, and for me booting is slow, much slowzer than before.
>>> And booting is silent : almost no information message about what happens.
>>> From the systemd-analyze man page:
>>
>> systemd-analyze time prints the time spent in the kernel before
>> userspace has been reached, the time spent in the initial RAM disk
>> (initrd) before normal system userspace has been reached, and the time
>> normal system userspace took to initialize. Note that these
>> measurements simply measure the time passed up to the point where all
>> system services have been spawned, but not necessarily until they
>> fully finished initialization or the disk is idle.
>>
>> systemd-analyze blame prints a list of all running units, ordered by
>> the time they took to initialize. This information may be used to
>> optimize boot-up times. Note that the output might be misleading as
>> the initialization of one service might be slow simply because it
>> waits for the initialization of another service to complete.
>
> Thanks for this, I now see some samba related services being rather long.

You're welcome.

>>> So you are before a screen with almost no message, not knowing if it works or not.
>>
>> Do you have "quiet" on the kernel cmdline?
>
> I have debian's default. I did not touch it and behaviour changed.
> That's the problem.
>
> So it seems there is a quiet on the default command line, which does not
> mean same thing when using systemd or using init.
>
> I do not want full verbose, I would like previous behaviour. Where I
> could see in one glance whether it was working or blocked without having
> too many messages.

I remember someone's post advising you to use
"systemd.show_status=true" on the kernel cmdline.

But this is from the systemd man page

== %< ========
systemd.show_status=
Takes a boolean argument or the constant auto. If true, shows terse
service status updates on the console during bootup. auto behaves like
false until a service fails or there is a significant delay in boot.
Defaults to true, unless quiet is passed as kernel command line option
in which case it defaults to auto.

quiet
Turn off status output at boot, much like systemd.show_status=false
would. Note that this option is also read by the kernel itself and
disables kernel log output. Passing this option hence turns off the
usual output from both the system manager and the kernel.

so you shouldn't have need it.