Re: Sid Systemd upgrade

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 22:04:22 +0900
Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 22:54:42 -0400
> > [...]
> > systemd[1]: /usr appears to be on its own filesytem and is not
> > already mounted. This is not a supported setup. Some things will
> > probably break (sometimes even silently) in mysterious ways. Consult
> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
> > for more information.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the URL doesn't work, but no doubt I can find
> > information about this. I can't be the first...
>
> Do you remember the big flap about merging /bin and /usr/bin ?

I've got it now. Apparently /usr has needed to be available at boot
time for a long time, but this seems to have completely passed me by,
and hasn't yet bitten me. I have always thought that 'usr' was short for
'user', and that /usr contains only applications and not system
software. We learn something every day: whether we want to or not.

I can see that I'm not going to be upgrading my server next time, but
rebuilding from scratch, as it has a /usr partition and isn't on LVM.
At the very least, it's a partition rebuild onto another drive. Oh, joy.

--
Joe