Re: Sid Systemd upgrade

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 00:19:54 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 21 iul 14, 21:54:48, Erwan David wrote:
> > Le 21/07/2014 21:33, Joe a écrit :
> > > Let us hope so. Tonight's upgrade to sid requires the removal of
> > > sysvinit-core...
> > >

> > libpam-systemd 204 depends systemd-sysv|systemd-shim
> > libpam-systemd 208 depends systemd-sysv
> >
> > Alternative disappeared (and systemd-sysv conflicts sysvinit-core)
> >
> > But thta's in testing...
>
> You might want to wait a little longer:
> https://lists.debian.org/87mwc9gfsw.fsf@xoog.err.no

OK, I have two sid installations which switched to systemd, one broke,
one didn't. Tonight my main workstation switched, and I encountered the
'Welcome to emergency mode!' message for the first time, which told me
what I could do after login. Unfortunately, it then failed to give me a
login prompt.

Dead. Every ninety seconds, a message about dumping the jornal of pid
1, then the emergency mode message again.

So I hauled out my sid-on-a-USB-drive, in the hopes of salvaging
something from a system with a little over over 4000 packages installed,
and with backups being of no possible use.

So I plugged in the drive, and suddenly it all burst into life. Well,
nearly all, no networking, which is a bit limiting for a workstation...

This drive has its own fstab entries by UUID, as it often gets plugged
into this desktop. My assumption is that failing to find the drive
present had blocked proper startup. Once it was mostly going, I
commented out the fstab entries, along with the network mounts,
unplugged the drive, rebooted, and it has reached the point where I can
post this. At least, I'm assuming it will post when I press this...

--
Joe