Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

On 7/21/14, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 09:59:55AM CEST, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> said:
>> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM, sp113438 <sp113438@telfort.nl> wrote:
>>

>> > 1 poweroff takes ages (several minutes), and sometimes fails
>> > completely,
>> > this is very annoying
>>
>> On Fedora, v208 introduced "slice" units and I (and many others) had a
>> problem at shutdown with the logged-in user's slice taking a long time
>> to stop, so much so that someone posted a perl script to the RH
>> bugzilla [1]. So this might be your problem. Are the shutdown messages
>> blocking on a message about your user's slice or service that's
>> prefixed with an "eye of cylon" animation?
>>

>> > 2 switching to a console takes 10 seconds until the prompt
>>
>> I've never had this problem but some people did hit it on Fedora. I've
>> completely forgotten what the problem was. Does changing the vt2-vt6
>> getty services to launch at boot like vt1 make switching faster?
>>

>> > 3 my X-session is under Ctrl+Alt+F2 not F7
>>
>> How do you launch it?
>>

>> > Booting is fast
>>
>> That's one of the development goals.
>
> I switched today, and for me booting is slow, much slowzer than before.
> And booting is silent : almost no information message about what  happens.
>
> So you are before a screen with almost no message, not knowing if it works
> or not.

Excellent! Something constructive.

What we all like to see around here.

<refraining from not-so-subtle condescending remarks>

A quick web search gave me this:
https://wiki.debian.org/systemd#Debugging

which directly answers your implied question.

I hope that's useful for you.

Good luck with your systemd testing - I hope
you come to enjoy it :)
Zenaan